Students are required to complete a field practicum of at least two consecutive semesters. Field education provides an opportunity for students to integrate into practice the conceptual knowledge gained from coursework. This is accomplished through the placement of students in public and voluntary social work service settings. Students entering the MSW program with no prior human service work or volunteer experience are encouraged to complete a suitable volunteer experience in a human service agency prior to beginning their internships.
To be eligible to begin field placement, a student must have completed all required courses, except for the concurrent online field seminar courses, and have a cumulative grade point average of (‘B’) 3.0 or better. Students are placed in one agency on a full-time basis for a two semester period or for an academic year. Monday through Thursday is spent in the agency and Friday is reserved for the concurrent online seminar course. Students must work 30-32 hours per week for a total of 930 hours minimum for the field practicum.
Field education for students in the Leadership and Social Change and Advanced Clinical: Children, Youth, and Family Services; Mental Health; and Health Care focus areas begins during the summer semester or the fall semester. Students in the School Social Work concentration only begin the field practicum in the fall semester.
In the Advanced Standing program, students have already met foundation field requirements; therefore, they have fewer required internship hours than those students whose undergraduate degree is not in social work. Students are required to complete a field practicum of at least one semester.
To be eligible to begin field placement, a student must have completed all required advanced courses and concentration coursework, except for the concurrent online field seminar course, and have a cumulative grade point average of (‘B’) 3.0 or better.
All students, except for school social work students, begin their internship in the summer or fall semester after their advanced and concentration coursework has been completed. Students are placed in an agency five (5) days per week, Monday through Friday in summer semester or four (4) days a week Monday through Thursday in fall semester. During the semester that students are in their internship, students are enrolled in the concurrent online seminar course. Advanced Standing students must complete a minimum of 500 hours for their field practicum. School Social Work students begin their internship in the fall semester after their advanced and concentration coursework has been completed. Students will serve in a school district four (4) days per week while Friday is reserved for the concurrent online field seminar course. While only one (1) semester of internship is required for the Advanced Standing MSW degree and Type 73 certification, some school social work students may opt to complete two (2) semesters of internship.
- Students are enrolled full-time during internship.
- Students are expected to follow the agency calendar during internship.
- Students are expected to sign a Memorandum of Understanding, which articulates the contract between the School and the student regarding the field practicum site selection.
- Students must complete an internship in the same area of concentration as their coursework.
- Students must have completed all required courses, except for the concurrent online field seminars and have a cumulative grade point average of (‘B’) 3.0 or better to be eligible for field.
- Students must receive a (‘B’) 3.0 or better in SOCW 531 and/or SOCW 532 in order to pass field education and be eligible to graduate.
- Students should financially plan ahead for field placement as most placements are unpaid.