HEALS Scholars Program 2017-2018
Who is eligible?
MSW students in the Healthcare concentration and BSW students interested in health and who will be in their field placements in Fall 2017 or Spring 2018 may be eligible. The following conditions must also be met:
- BSW students must agree to be assigned to a healthcare service-learning project in SOCW 461 in Fall 2017;
- GPA of 3.7 across BSW or MSW coursework;
- Candidates must be eligible to interview and able to secure a field placement in an approved HEALS agency;
- Enroll in a 1-2 credit HEALS seminar while a HEALS scholar during the Fall and Spring;
- Attend a 2 day conference in DC (paid by the grant) and
- Be willing to be named publicly as a HEALS scholar and have your photograph appear in CSWE, SSW and other media.
Note: HEALS Scholars must agree to participate in the program for the entire 2017-2018 academic year, even if they graduate in December 2017.
How do I apply?
Applying for a HEALS grant:
- Students must complete an online application due by Wednesday, January 4, 2017.
- Click the appropriate link to apply: 2017/2018 BSW HEALS online application | 2017/2018 MSW HEALS online application
- Four candidates (two BSW, two MSW students) and two alternates will be identified as potential HEALS Scholars in about February. However, before selections are finalized and scholarships are officially offered, each candidate will need to secure a field placement in a HEALS-approved site (determined by the SSW) with a field supervisor willing to be a HEALS mentor.
- Before accepting the award, candidates offered a HEALS scholarship are strongly urged to check with the University Financial Aid Office to determine if and how accepting this award might impact any other funding or academic scholarships.
- Final selection of HEALS Scholars and Mentors for 2017-2018 will be announced and made public in Spring 2017.