HEALS Scholars Program 2019-2020
Who is eligible?
MSW students in the Healthcare concentration and BSW students interested in health and who will be in their field placements in Fall 2019 or Spring 2020 may be eligible. The following conditions must also be met:
- BSW students must agree to be assigned to a healthcare service-learning project in SOCW 461 in Fall 2019;
- GPA of 3.6 across BSW or MSW coursework;
- Candidates must be eligible to interview and able to secure a field placement in an approved HEALS agency;
- Enroll in a 1-2 credit HEALS seminar while a HEALS scholar during the Fall and Spring;
- Attend a 2 day conference in DC (paid by the grant);
- Participate in the HEALS program evaluations; and
- Be willing to be named publicly as a HEALS scholar and have your photograph appear in CSWE, SSW and other media.
Note: HEALS Scholars must agree to participate in the program for the entire 2019-2020 academic year, even if they graduate in December 2019. Strong preference will be given to students who will be enrolled in the Fall and Spring of 2019-2020 year.
How do I apply?
Applying for a HEALS grant:
- We will begin reviewing applications in April and will continue until HEALS scholars are selected and successfully placed. For best consideration, please submit all materials by April 30, 2019.
- Click the appropriate link to apply: 2019/2020 BSW HEALS online application | 2019/2020 MSW HEALS online application
- Four candidates (two BSW, two MSW students) and two alternates will be identified as potential HEALS Scholars in about February. However, before selections are finalized and scholarships are officially offered, each candidate will need to secure a field placement in a HEALS-approved site (determined by the SSW) with a field supervisor willing to be a HEALS mentor.
- Before accepting the award, candidates offered a HEALS scholarship are required to check with the University Financial Aid Office to determine if and how accepting this award might impact any other funding or academic scholarships.
- Final selection of HEALS Scholars and Mentors for 2019-2020 will be announced and made public in Summer 2019.