AmeriCorps VISTA Family Assistance Coordinator for a Social Service Agency working with Immigrants
Immigrants Services of Champaign-Urbana (ISCU)
Immigrant Services of Champaign-Urbana (ISCU) is looking for an AmeriCorps VISTA member (compensated volunteer) who can help us make more effective use of our staff and our community volunteers in assisting immigrants in Champaign County in many aspects of their lives. This help will consist of enhancing ISCU’s ability to sustainably deliver services to the local immigrant families through improving staff effectiveness and supporting liaison activities with other organizations and with government agencies. We are looking for someone who can work independently, enjoys challenges, and is prepared to work with people from different cultures, social and educational backgrounds and ages. We welcome applicants who can bring to this position familiarity with the standard suite of office software and other relevant applications.
Position Description: The Family Assistance Coordinator works under the supervision of ISCU’s professional social worker to improve the delivery of ISCU assistance to immigrants in and around Champaign-County. S/he/they will work closely with the social worker, the Navigation Team, the family liaison volunteers and the VISTA Volunteer Coordinator member to effectively coordinate and support the delivery of services to ISCU’s immigrant clients. S/he/they will strengthen ISCU’s relationships with local government agencies, and with other local, state and national NGOs, and assist in making ISCU’s Immigrant Advisory Board effective. Together with the VISTA Volunteer Coordinator, s/he/they will help document procedures and best practices for providing direct services and for liaising with other NGOs and government agencies, and getting feedback from ISCU’s Immigrant Advisory Board
- Improve the coordination among the ISCU social worker, community navigators (drawn from the immigrant community), family liaison volunteers and the volunteers of other ISCU teams
- Provide office support and scheduling services for the ISCU social worker, community navigators, family liaison volunteers and the volunteers of other ISCU teams.
- Support the Executive Director’s efforts to reach out to other NGOs and to government agencies (keeping abreast of changes and needs in community services) and assist the ED in managing grants and financial agreements.
- Support ISCU’s efforts to recruit community members for the Immigrant Advisory Board and, working with the ED and the Board, convene its meetings and disseminate its feedback discussions and recommendations.
- Assist the Volunteer Coordinator in creating and maintaining documentation on procedures and best practices regarding the work of the social worker, the community navigators and the family liaison volunteers
- Develop and maintain written procedures and best practices for liaising with NGOs and local government agencies
- Evaluate the progress in this work at the end of the first year
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
- Illinois Driver’s License
- Familiarity with spreadsheet, database and shared calendar software
- A BA degree or significant experience in working with social agencies
- Multicultural sensitivity and communication skills