AmeriCorps VISTA Volunteer Coordinator for Social Service Agency working with Immigrants
Immigrants Services of Champaign-Urbana
Immigrant Services of Champaign-Urbana is looking for an AmeriCorps VISTA member (compensated volunteer) who can help us optimize the use of volunteers for immigrants in Champaign County in many aspects of their lives. We are looking for someone who can work independently, enjoys challenges, and is prepared to work with people from different cultures, social and educational backgrounds and ages. We welcome applicants who can bring technological skills for communicating and documenting work assignments and flows to this position.
Position Description: The Volunteer Coordinator works under the supervision of ISCU’s Executive Director to improve the recruitment and management of volunteers within ISCU. S/he/they will develop a set of well thought-out and effective practices and procedures that will allow volunteers with different experiences, commitments and interests to contribute to the overall mission of ISCU. S/he/they will create an institutional memory of these practices and procedures through written documentation.
– Learn existing routines for recruiting and managing volunteers
– Research best practices and procedures for recruiting and managing volunteers
– Assume primary responsibility for recruiting and managing volunteers
– Communicate with volunteers about their assignments
– Continually improve procedures for recruiting and managing volunteers
– Create and maintain a Procedures and Best Practices Manual for ISCU. Coordinate with ISCU’s other VISTA Member to include in the manual those aspects of the organization’s practices and procedures that the other Member will be documenting
– Evaluate the progress in this work at the end of the first year
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
- Illinois Driver’s License
- Familiarity with spreadsheet, database and shared calendar applications
- BA degree or significant experience in working with social service agencies
- Multicultural sensitivity and communication skills