Bilingual Caseworker, French or Lingala (part or full-time)
The Refugee Center
The Refugee Center is looking for a Caseworker to join our team to support refugee and immigrant clients with resettlement.
The Refugee Center, with an office in Champaign, IL, exists to provide services essential to refugee and immigrant resettlement in East Central Illinois, and to aid in the exchange and preservation of their respective cultures. Globally aware but locally focused, our professional, compassionate staff provide interpretation services and advocacy in court hearings, doctors’ appointments, school conferences, and other settings. For 40 years, we’ve helped people find stability in their new homes through counseling, tutoring, community health programs, and support in completing paperwork for work, school, and government programs.
The Caseworker will be a core member of our Client Services team, delivering services directly to the immigrant community we are embedded in. The Caseworker will work with their clients to assess and support their resettlement needs. The Caseworker will report to the Program Director.
This position is open to candidates who are interested in either full-time or part-time work. The client portfolio and workload will be assigned appropriately.
- Conducts initial assessments of clients’ situation to determine needs and goals.
- Assists with client intake and program orientation and counseling for participants, including on topics of health, literacy, life skills, and employment.
- Provide outreach to the communities of refugees and immigrants in our local area about The Refugee Center’s services.
- Researches and advocates for appropriate public assistance resources for clients.
- Provides bilingual assistance with job applications and related job search activities.
- Acts as liaison and translator.
- Assists clients at WIC offices (within the same building) to support access to services.
- Keeps required records of services provided to each participant, including maintaining timely case notes and documentation.
- Maintains contact with social service agencies and provides appropriate client referrals and mediation when necessary.
- Provide feedback to the Program Director regarding trends and needs in client communities.
- Actively participating in ongoing training as needed in order to meet all certification standards and credentialing policies
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work or related field
- Fluency in English and French
- Knowledge of social services available in the community
- Empathy and understanding for refugees and immigrants
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Willingness to be flexible and accommodate client needs when possible
- Able to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information and situations
- Excellent judgment and ability to proactively make decision
- Ability to build strong, trusting relationships
- Ability to multitask and prioritize between competing needs
- Fluency in Lingala
- Knowledge of and experience in refugee resettlement
- Experience working with people from different cultures
- Knowledge of trauma informed care
Compensation & Benefits:
- Salary equivalent to $15/hour
If interested, please apply to email@example.com with your resume. No phone calls please.
The Refugee Center is an equal opportunity employer.