Life Span is hiring a bilingual Counselor at our Des Plaines office.
Life Span empowers survivors of domestic and sexual violence to demand safety as a human right through client-centered services and leads social change through accountability, community engagement, and systemic advocacy.
Life Span is a nationally known leader in the provision of services to victims of violence and their children. Our comprehensive services include criminal court advocacy representation in civil protective order cases, expert representation in family law cases, and counseling for survivors and their children. Our work encompasses such issues as immigration, employment issues, sexual assault civil no contact orders, the effects of trauma on clients and their children, teen dating violence, and the criminalization of survivors. Our agency has two sites, and services are available in multiple languages including English, Spanish, Polish and Arabic. All services are free of charge. Our agency provides national leadership in policy work and systemic advocacy, and our staff has trained advocates, lawyers, judges, counselors and other professionals in Illinois and across the country on critical issues and innovative practices.
Life Span values diversity—in strengths, backgrounds and lived experiences. It is essential that our staff and leadership reflect the communities that we serve. We are committed to creating an anti-oppression framework and seek candidates who share this commitment.
- Master’s Degree in social work, psychology, counseling, or a related field; or equivalent work experience.
- Bilingual in Arabic or Hindi preferred.
- 40 hour DV Certified preferred/or DV Certification training provided.
- Ability to reliably travel to community and outreach events.
Position Summary: Provides individual and group services to adult and child victims of domestic violence at the Des Plaines office of Life Span. Under the supervision of the Director of Counseling, participates in community outreach and education, and cooperates with other social service providers in community collaborations.
- Provide counseling both on an individual and group basis as assigned by the Director of Counseling.
- Assist in screening and assessment of program participants.
- Assist in outreach activities.
- Maintain statistical service records and case file documentation on assigned cases.
- Serve as an advocate by helping clients make contact with other social service agencies, legal and financial assistance and the police.
- Answer the crisis line as assigned or needed; includes periodic after hours coverage.
- Serve as a resource person for crisis line volunteers as needed.
- Attend professional training and meetings as assigned or approved.
- Attend and participate in staff meetings.
- Refer appropriate clients for legal advocacy services to legal advocacy staff.
- Assist in community or professional education through speaking engagements as assigned by the Director of Counseling.
Our Location and Hours:
The Bilingual Counselor position is a full-time, 40 hours per week position based in the Des Plaines office.
This is a hybrid-remote position after onboarding and completion of training.
Life Span is located on the 7th floor of a medium rise office building, steps away from the Des Plaines METRA station, and accessible via the Blue Line/Pace transit. Des Plaines is a Northwest Chicago suburb, near O’Hare, Park Ridge, Mount Prospect, Norridge, and Arlington Heights suburbs. Free building parking is available.
Compensation: Life Span values staff as our most important resource and we offer a competitive starting salary of $52,000. Benefits include very generous PTO and holidays, Summer Fridays, life and disability insurance; a 403b plan, health, dental and vision insurance, pre-tax public transit, FSA and DCA benefit plan options.
Loan Forgiveness Benefit: Life Span is a qualifying employer for the federal PSLF program.
To Apply: Please send resume and cover letter to the hiring manager via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. No Telephone Calls Please.