Bilingual Social Worker, Spanish (part-time or full-time)
The Refugee Center is looking for a Social Worker to join our team to support refugee and immigrant clients with resettlement.
The Refugee Center, with an office in Champaign, IL, exists to provide services essential to refugee and immigrant resettlement in East Central Illinois, and to aid in the exchange and preservation of their respective cultures. Globally aware but locally focused, our professional, compassionate staff provide interpretation services and advocacy in court hearings, doctors’ appointments, school conferences, and other settings. For 40 years, we’ve helped people find stability in their new homes through counseling, tutoring, community health programs, and support in completing paperwork for work, school, and government programs.
The Social Worker will be a core member of our social work team, delivering services directly to the immigrant community we are embedded in. The Social Worker will work with their clients to assess and support their resettlement needs. The Social Worker will report to the Program Director.
- Conducts initial assessments of clients’ situation to determine needs and goals.
- Assists with client intake and program orientation and counseling for participants, including on topics of health, literacy, life skills, and employment.
- Informs target population of program services and recruits program participants.
- Researches and advocates for appropriate public assistance resources for clients.
- Provides bilingual assistance with job applications and related job search activities.
- Acts as liaison and translator.
- Maintains contact with social service agencies and provides appropriate client referrals and mediation when necessary.
- Keeps required records of services provided to each participant, including maintaining timely case notes and documentation.
- Actively participating in ongoing training as needed in order to meet all certification standards and credentialing policies
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work or related field
- Fluency in English and Spanish
- Knowledge of social services available in the community
- Empathy and understanding for refugees and immigrants
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Willingness to be flexible and accommodate client needs when possible
- Able to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information and situations
- Excellent judgement and ability to proactively make decisions
- Ability to build strong, trusting relationships
- Ability to multitask and prioritize between competing needs
- Knowledge of and experience in refugee resettlement
- Experience working with people from different cultures
- Knowledge of trauma informed care
Compensation & Benefits:
- Salary starts at $31,200/year less applicable withholdings for a full-time position and would be prorated for a part-time role
- Monthly stipend for healthcare coverage
- Monthly stipend for mobile phone usage
This position is open to candidates who are interested in either full-time or part-time work. The client portfolio and workload will be assigned appropriately.
The Refugee Center is currently closed to the public and accepting only a small number of clients in person, by appointment only. This position will be expected to work remotely from home until our office safely reopens. We will provide needed company equipment for the final hire for professional use.
If interested, please apply to email@example.com with your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements. No phone calls please. The Refugee Center is an equal opportunity employer.