Case Manager: Community Support Specialist for People with Intellectual Disabilities
Community Choices is a nonprofit human service cooperative. Our mission is to partner with people with disabilities in Champaign County in their pursuit of independence, opportunity, and choice by offering quality, self-directed supports and services.
Job Summary: Community Choices is seeking a full-time Community Support Specialist to work with people with intellectual and developmental disabilities to manage and sustain their lives in the community. The Community Support Specialist is a Case Management position responsible for working with the Inclusive Community Support team, providing support for participants’ public benefit coordination, and locating affordable housing and local resources.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Primary Program Responsibilities:
Public Aid, Social Security, and Public Resource Coordination
- Supporting participants to apply for and maintain public aid benefits
- Providing assistance with Social Security benefit management
- Locating and connecting participants with local resources for housing, crisis needs, and life transitions
Locating and Sustaining Affordable Community Housing for people with I/DD
- Working with participants and families to develop ideal housing plans and budgets
- Coordinating with local resources to identify potential housing, such the Housing Authority, Statewide Referral Network, Tenant Union, and landlords
- Identifying the personalized skills needed to maintain housing
Self-Direction Assistance for Participants with Home Based Support (HBS) Services
- Managing the Home Based Support Program and coordinating supports for each person
- Manage paperwork related to each person’s Home Based Support services including: Personal Support Worker enrollments, budget form updates, Personal Centered Plans, Timesheet troubleshooting, etc.
- Maintain detailed records of services and manage individual files
Secondary Program Responsibilities:
Participant Skill Acquisition, Health Coordination, and Connections Development
- Supporting participants to learn new skills to maintain their community-based life
- Attend and schedule routine medical appointments
- Working with participants to develop the meaningful social roles and connections they define
- Upholding our mission and philosophy statements
- Contributing to the life of the cooperative by running social opportunities, zoom connections, connecting with families, and developing personal development classes for Community Choices members.
- Engaging in continued interdisciplinary professional development
- Bachelor’s degree in human services or related area – REQUIRED
- 1 year experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities – REQUIRED
- Ability to pass a State Police and Health Care Workers Registry background check
- Ability to prioritize and manage the needs of multiple individuals
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work with participants and families who are overwhelmed with their situation and from a large diversity of backgrounds and experiences
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to give instruction and feedback to team members
- Strength-based thinking – able to focus on individual’s abilities and assets
- Ability to keep track of details and complete regular documentation
- Valid driver’s license, vehicle in working condition, vehicle insurance
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Google Drive/Docs/Calendar
- Excellent phone and email etiquette
- Comfortable using social media
- Community Choices offers a progressive, flexible, and accommodating workplace
- 20 Paid Vacation days and 10 paid holidays per year are provided – plus an additional 5 annual Paid Vacation Days after 3 years with the organization
- High Quality Health Insurance is offered through Health Alliance (low deductible)
- Dental Insurance
- SIMPLE IRA Retirement Plan with a 3% Employer Match. Eligibility at 3 months. Vested immediately
- The organization is also committed to continuing to add additional employee benefits as we are able.
- This will be a salaried position with an equivalent hourly rate of approximately $18/hour.
HOW TO APPLY:
To be considered, please send the following to Becca Obuchowski at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover Letter
- 2 References