Working closely with the Executive Director, the Community Programs Manager oversees and executes a varied portfolio of programs that enrich and support the community we serve.
Community Wellness Initiatives
· Collaborate with the ICS team to design new programs that support our objectives to serve, empower and connect our community.
· Manage wellness initiatives such as classes, symposiums, social gatherings, and once-off community events.
· Directly facilitate wellness initiatives including programs for people with early-stage memory loss and peer support groups.
· Execute community outreach campaigns across radio, social and print media.
· Coordinate the annual response to the Irish summer students arriving to Chicago through the J1 Work Travel program by developing resource guides pertaining to employment, housing, and safety concerns.
· Determine meaningful and sustainable program goals.
· Monitor projects to assess outcomes and evaluate strengths and weaknesses.
· Develop and implement budgets.
· Build meaningful and impactful partnerships with community-based and governmental organizations, both within the Irish community and within the wider community services landscape of Chicago.
· Engage stakeholders, partners, and funders.
· Source outside expertise and resources necessary to provide effective wellness programs.
· Learn about wellness issues and effective program development strategies.
· Manage project-based volunteers.
Support for individuals
· Offer short-term case management services to clients. Activities include assessment, referrals, and maintaining accurate case notes and records.
· Facilitate applications for financial assistance and make eligibility determinations based on organizational protocols.
· Conduct occasional home visits and client meetings.
· Develop and maintain a referral list of trusted support organizations and resources.
Administration, programmatic excellence & other projects
· When needed, offer support to other staff members and programs.
· Represent ICS as part of the Coalition of Irish Immigration Centers.
· Represent ICS at community events.
· Continually improve knowledge of issues that impact our community and actively work on professional development.
· Maintain up-to-date records and budgets.
· Contribute to program and funding reports.
· Develop effective mechanisms for capturing data that allows ICS to tell the story of how we are positively impacting our community.
· Contribute to the delivery of formal internships for Irish social services students.
Key skills and experiences
We’re seeking candidates who are passionate about community development, demonstrate flexibility and creativity, are strong communicators, and excel in relationship building. The key skills and experiences required for this role are:
· A high degree of familiarity with Ireland, Irish culture, or an Irish community, either in Chicago or elsewhere.
· Experience working in a community services/nonprofits setting with groups and individuals experiencing challenges.
· Experience creating and running a variety of people-centered programs.
· A talent for building community with individuals, groups, and colleagues.
· A high level of comfort leading group activities and being the public face of ICS’s community wellness programs.
· An approach characterized by creativity, positivity, and flexibility.
· An ability to engage groups and individuals with warmth, empathy and understanding.
· An ability to forge meaningful, fruitful connections with program participants, organizational partners, and funders.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· An ability to maintain organized workflows, records, and reports.
· An ability to effectively manage time and resources across multiple projects.
· Authorization to work in the USA.
· Ability to drive.
The ideal candidate:
· Has a qualification and/or considerable professional experience in social work or community development.
· Experience supervising at least one staff member or students.
· Access to a vehicle.