Social Worker, Intake Specialist (part-time or full-time available)
The Refugee Center is looking for a Social Worker, Intake Specialist to join our team to support refugee and immigrant clients with resettlement.
The Refugee Center, with an office in Champaign, IL, exists to provide services essential to refugee and immigrant resettlement in East Central Illinois, and to aid in the exchange and preservation of their respective cultures. Globally aware but locally focused, our professional, compassionate staff provide interpretation services and advocacy in court hearings, doctors’ appointments, school conferences, and other settings. For 40 years, we’ve helped people find stability in their new homes through counseling, tutoring, community health programs, and support in completing paperwork for work, school, and government programs.
Currently, amid the Afghan refugee crisis, the Social Worker will specialize in providing intake services for arriving families who will be placed in the Champaign-Urbana area. The Social Worker will be a core member of our social work team, delivering services directly to the immigrant communities we are embedded in. The Social Worker will work with their clients to assess and support their resettlement needs.
The Social Worker, Intake Specialist will report to the Program Director.
- Conduct initial assessments of clients’ situation to determine needs
- Work with Program Director and Resettlement Coordinator to develop and execute service plans and establish goals
- Act as first point of conduct and support for a portfolio of new clients
- Support clients by setting up public benefits, gain necessary federal and state identification, facilitate legal screenings, etc.
- Facilitate resettlement of client families through school enrollments and employment needs
- Create and document timely case notes for client files
- Enter client data for tracking and reporting purposes
- Work with relevant interpreters to ensure mutual understanding with clients
- Provide feedback on larger trends and needs for our client base
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work or related field
- Knowledge of social services available in the community
- Empathy and understanding for refugees and immigrants
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Willingness to be flexible and accommodate client needs when possible
- Able to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information and situations
- Excellent judgement and ability to proactively make decisions
- Ability to build strong, trusting relationships
- Ability to multitask and prioritize between competing needs
- Knowledge of and experience in refugee resettlement
- Experience working with people from different cultures
- Knowledge of trauma informed care
Compensation & Benefits:
- Salary starts at $31,200/year less applicable withholdings for a full-time position and would be prorated for a part-time role
- Monthly stipend for healthcare coverage
- Monthly stipend for mobile phone usage
This position is open to candidates who are interested in either full-time or part-time work. The client portfolio and workload will be assigned appropriately.
The Refugee Center is working closely with public health professionals to meet and exceed safety guidance for our staff and clients. Based on their advice, we have recently opened our office to the public in order to meet the continued and growing crises in our refugee communities. Staff are currently working within a hybrid work schedule if they have work that must be done in the office.
Clients and staff are required to wear masks at all times that they are in our office and we are currently requiring staff to either provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 or take a weekly COVID-19 test.
If interested, please apply to firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume and cover letter indicating if you are interested in a full-time or part-time role. No phone calls please. The Refugee Center is an equal opportunity employer.