Skip to content

University Student Counselor/ Social Worker

Millikin University


150 South Fairview Ave. Decatur, IL 62522

End Date


Job description

The Student Counselor/Social Worker typically oversees a caseload of approximately 100-150 students. The Counselor/Social Worker supports the Director of Student Mental and Behavioral Health Service and other members of the treatment team by coordinating intake, assessment, and treatment (individual & group); providing proactive follow-up by alerting the treatment team when the student is not improving, supporting medication management, and facilitating communication with members of the treatment team. The Counselor/Social Worker also offers brief counseling (using evidenced-based and trauma informed techniques) and helps facilitate changes in treatment if warranted. As a team member within Student Mental and Behavioral Health Services, the Counselor/Social Worker is engaged in direct clinical service work up to 75% of the time.

Primary Responsibilities: 

  1. Utilizing a trauma-informed approach, provide short-term individual and group counseling for students.
  2. Provide case management and crisis intervention for high-need students.
  3. Serve as liaison to inclusion and diversity staff, providing psychoeducation outreach programming for BIPOC students and helping to remove barriers to accessing mental health services.

a. Liaison with BIPOC student groups, attending periodic meetings of the various student organizations.

  1. Employ assessments to best manage student cases and influence proper referrals.
  2. Assist staff in implementation of student conduct related prevention and diversion programs, as well as residential outreach and educational programming, including seminars and workshops to address preventative and developmental needs of students.
  3. Support on-call staff and provide after hours on-call support on a rotational basis.
  4. Performs other related duties as assigned by the Director of Student Mental and Behavioral Health Services to advance the mission of Student Affairs and student welfare.
  • A master’s degree in counseling or social work is required, as well as clinical licensure in Illinois, minimum LPC required, LCPC/ LCSW licensure is preferred
Cookie Settings