This flexible two-year program allows community college graduates and transfer students with junior standing to earn their Bachelor of Social Work degree through a combination of online courses and local field placements throughout the state of Illinois.
What is the iBSW?
The undergraduate iBSW Program at the School of Social Work provides a comprehensive, hybrid, educational experience for junior level transfer students and prepares graduates for excellence in the areas of social work practice, policy, community engagement, and leadership, and entry into three potential tracks upon degree completion, including (but not limited to):
- generalist social work practice
- advanced standing in graduate social work programs
- career opportunities or graduate education in areas such as:
- communications, corrections, business, education, government, health care, human resources, law, non-profit organizations, religious studies, and public service
Transfer Student Requirements
The iBSW Program welcomes transfer students from many majors and areas of interest. The program is highly structured in the junior and senior years, and provides course sequencing to support academic success in the profession.
For transfer course information, prospective transfer students should consult the Transferology website, as well as, communicate directly with the Undergraduate Affairs Coordinator at the School of Social Work to determine if the student’s current and/or past coursework is acceptable.
Transfer students for the iBSW Program are accepted for Fall semester only. Students interested in a Spring start may consider the campus BSW Program. Admission to the School of Social Work requires the following:
- A minimum GPA of 2.50 (A = 4.00)
- Evidence of strong communication and interpersonal skills demonstrated through applicant’s personal statement
- Evidence of attributes that are suitable to the profession of social work
Your locally based internship will be part-time and take place over the course of two semesters.
Transition to Obtain Your MSW Degree
Our BSW graduates can seamlessly transition into our one-year advanced standing MSW program in Urbana or Chicago.
Attend an upcoming iBSW Virtual Informational Session to learn more about program specifics and meet with staff who can help answer your questions. Register to attend by clicking the info session link.
E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (217) 333-2261.
How do I apply?
Applications open on December 15th. Apply by March 1 for priority consideration. Visit the link below to learn more about the transfer application process and how you can prepare.