Skip to content
Photo by Mary Taylor

Professional Educator License for School Social Work

We offer the Post-MSW Program for those seeking an Illinois PEL School Social Work Endorsement.  This license and endorsement is needed to practice social work in public schools in Illinois.

What You Need to Know

If you earned your MSW in a concentration other than school social work, you will need to take and complete coursework, as well as a one-semester internship in an Illinois public school.

You will complete the following requirements:

  • SOCW 507:  School Social Work Practice
  • SOCW 519:  Public School Policy and Services
  • SOCW 531:  Field Practicum and Integrative Seminar
    This is a one semester internship working five days each week in a public school setting with an online component.

Requirements to Apply

  • Master of Social Work from a school of social work accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE)
  • A minimum grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) from the university in which the MSW was obtained.
  • The Illinois State Board of Education requires that all students completing an educator licensure program obtain a C or higher in all graduate coursework.

PEL Application Process

Spring 2025 Application Opens July 1, 2025

UIUC MSW graduate applicants must submit the following to apply:

Applicants that completed a Masters in Social Work from a different CSWE Accredited Program:

  • Complete Graduate College Application
  • Three (3) letters of reference (must be academic and/or professional in nature).   Letters of reference are part of the online Graduate College Application.
  • Resume– This should include relevant education, volunteer, and work experience. The completed resume should be uploaded to the Graduate College Application.
  • Official Transcripts from all colleges/universities attended.
    • Mail directly to:
      School of Social Work
      Illinois PEL with Endorsement in School Social Work Program
      1010 W. Nevada
      Urbana, IL 61801

* The Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) is currently allowing post-MSW social workers to seek admittance into the Short-Term Approval process if they meet the requirements. Learn more


Cheryl Street

Director of Graduate Enrollment Management, Graduate Recruiter and Advisor

headshot of Cheryl Street
Cookie Settings