Transfer Student Application
See requirements for transferring to Illinois Social Work below.
Deadlines and Requirements
To be guaranteed consideration for the Spring term, you must apply by October 15th. To be guaranteed consideration for the Fall term, you must apply by March 1st. Applications received after the University of Illinois and School of Social Work deadlines are not able to be guaranteed for consideration.
If you have already obtained some college coursework at another institution, you should apply to the BSW program as a transfer student.
Check out these helpful tips when applying as a transfer student:
- Completion of volunteer or paid work experience in a social service agency prior to the beginning of the program
- Cumulative minimum GPA 2.5 or higher
- Evidence of strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Evidence of personal attributes that are suitable for the profession of social work
- Successful completion of the application process for professional program entry
There is not a minimum number of credit hours required to apply.
Experiential Learning Fee
One of the unique features of the Bachelors of Social Work major is providing innovative programs and experiential learning opportunities. These intensive educational programs are a hallmark of social work education and distinguish our students as well prepared for success in the professional workforce as well as graduate and professional study.
The experiential learning fee is assessed to all Bachelor of Social Work majors to help cover part of the extensive faculty resources required to provide enriched social work learning opportunities. A one-time fee of $750 will be charged to BSW students once the student has earned 60-89.9 in progress hours; including transfer hours.