Master of Social Work
On campus. Online. On your time. Our options offer flexibility for you.
We Offer Three Enrollment Options for Obtaining Your MSW
- MSW Campus Program – Offers full- or part-time coursework on the Urbana-Champaign campus. The MSW Campus Program is open to Advanced Standing students as well as students with undergraduate degrees in other fields. Our Advanced Standing Campus Program allows you to enroll directly in advanced and concentrated coursework if you meet certain criteria, including receiving a bachelor’s degree in social work within the past 7 years. The Advanced Standing Program is offered in the MSW Campus and Outreach Programs.
- iMSW Program – Accepts strong traditional and Advanced Standing students who wish to develop their skills and further their knowledge in social work. The iMSW Hybrid Program allows students to take online and blended (online/face-to-face) courses to complete their MSW degree. The face-to-face component meets four or fewer weekends per semester on the Urbana, IL campus or at the Illini Center in Chicago. The iMSW in Leadership and Social Change can be completed fully online, without ever coming to campus.
- Dual MSW/MBA Campus Program – The School of Social Work offers a dual MSW/MBA option for students accepted into both graduate programs. Traditional dual degree students must complete 64 – 72 hours in social work, in addition to 60 hours with the College of Business. Students with Advanced Standing status due to obtaining their Bachelors of Social Work degree within the past 7 years will complete 44 hours in social work and 60 hours with the College of Business.
Visit the Enrollment Options page for a more detailed description of these programs.
Two Areas of Concentration
Our MSW program prepares you for advanced social work practice and for research in public and private agencies in two areas of concentration:
- Leadership and Social Change
- Advanced Clinical
Within the Advanced Clinical concentration, students choose a focus area:
- Mental Health
- Health Care
- Children, Youth and Family Services
A total of 9 to 14 courses plus an internship are required for the Master of Social Work. Each class is worth four hours of graduate credit. If you have earned a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) from an accredited social work program within the past seven years, you are considered to have met the foundation coursework requirements and, therefore, have 9 courses to complete and a one semester internship. For students who do not have a BSW, there is a 14 course requirement and a two-semester internship. The internship occurs near the end of the program and must be completed in your area of concentration.
Complete information on all degree requirements for our graduate programs is listed on the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Programs of Study website.
Why Choose Us?
- We’re ranked 6th among all social work programs in the world and 5th among U.S. programs *
- Our MSW graduates have a 96% employment rate upon graduation
- Our MSW graduates have a 92% ASWB examination licensure success rate
- Our unique Illinois Placement Plan offers block field placements with the possibility of completing placements at your current agency **
- We are home to world-renowned faculty members, cutting edge research and high-quality curricula
- Our smaller class sizes offer opportunities to work closely with your instructors and faculty