Illinois Professional Educator License (PEL) with Endorsement in School Social Work
What You Need to Know
We offer the Post-MSW Program for those seeking an Illinois PEL School Social Work Endorsement. This licensed and endorsement is needed to practice social work in public schools in Illinois.
If you earned your MSW in a concentration other than school social work, you will need to take and complete coursework, as well as a one-semester internship in an Illinois public school.
You will complete the following requirements:
- SOCW 507: School Social Work Practice
- SOCW 519: Public School Policy and Services
- These two courses meet once a week on the same day
- SOCW 531: Field Practicum and Integrative Seminar
- This is a one semester internship working five days each week in a public school setting with a online component.
Candidates are required to meet ISBE’s Basic Skills Requirement prior to entering into the field placement. This requirement includes taking one of the following tests and meeting ISBE’s score requirements. Please follow this link to learn more about the score requirements:
- ACT plus writing
- Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP)
- Basic Skills test
You will also find study resources at:
Requirements to Apply:
- Master of Social Work from a school of social work accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE)
- A minimum grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) from the university in which the MSW was obtained. The Illinois State Board of Education requires that all students completing an educator licensure program obtain a C or higher in all graduate coursework.
PEL APPLICATION PROCESS:
Deadline to apply for Spring 2019 is October 31, 2018
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, School of Social Work Applicants you will apply by submitting the following:
- PEL Certification Program Application
- PEL and SSW Endorsement Program Personal Statement
- Three letters of recommendation
- Mail all materials to:
School of Social Work
Illinois PEL with Endorsement in School Social Work Program
1010 W. Nevada
Urbana, IL 61801
- Complete Graduate College Application
- Three (3) letters of reference (must be academic and/or professional in nature). Letters of reference are part of the online Graduate College Application.
- Resume– This should include relevant education, volunteer, and work experience. The completed resume should be uploaded to the Graduate College Application under the .
- Official Transcripts from all colleges/universities attended. Mail directly to the School of Social Work.