Illinois Professional Educator License (PEL) with Endorsement in School Social Work

What You Need to Know

We offer the Post-MSW Program for those seeking an Illinois PEL School Social Work Endorsement.  This licensed and endorsement is needed to practice social work in public schools in Illinois.

If you earned your MSW in a concentration other than school social work, you will need to take and complete coursework, as well as a one-semester internship in an Illinois public school.

You will complete the following requirements:

  • Spring Semester:

    • SOCW 507:  School Social Work Practice
    • SOCW 519:  Public School Policy and Services
    • These two courses meet once a week on the same day or in a hybrid design with online delivery and 4 Saturday face-to-face sessions.
  • Fall Semester:

    • SOCW 531:  Field Practicum and Integrative Seminar
    • This is a one semester internship working five days each week in a public school setting with a online component.

Requirements to Apply:

  1. Master of Social Work from a school of social work accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE)
  2. A minimum grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) from the university in which the MSW was obtained.  The Illinois State Board of Education requires that all students completing an educator licensure program obtain a C or higher in all graduate coursework.


Deadline to apply for Spring 2021 is October 15, 2020

Applicants that completed a Masters in Social Work from a different CSWE Accredited Program:

  • Complete Graduate College Application
  • Three (3) letters of reference (must be academic and/or professional in nature).   Letters of reference are part of the online Graduate College Application.
  • Resume– This should include relevant education, volunteer, and work experience. The completed resume should be uploaded to the Graduate College Application under the .
  • Official Transcripts from all colleges/universities attended. Mail directly to the School of Social Work.